Does everyone remember the story that is always told in Sac Mtg about the little boy who wanted a bicycle, he earned money for the bicycle and the day came that he and his dad go to the store to buy it. The little boy doesnt have enough money and is crushed so the dad says "I will make up the difference", this is supposed to be likened unto Christ making up the difference for us.
Harrison has been wanting a watch. He is always asking what time it is and decided to earn some money so he could buy a watch of his own. He earned .30 cents at home this week and my dad paid him $3.25 yesterday to pick up palm tree seeds in his back yard. Harrison was thrilled! I promise it was better than it sounds. Today I paid him $1.00 to pick up toys. So tonight we headed for Target to buy the watch. The watches were $7.00, Harrison had $4.55. Here's the conversation, it didnt go well.
Me: "You dont have enough to buy the watch, you are 2.45 short.
Harrison: "Yeah, but I want it"
Me: "Dad and I will make up the difference"
Harrison: "Really, hmmm, what else is there, lets go look"
Then he took off for the toy aisle and checked out all the expensive toys. Since he wasnt getting it I told him he only had $4.00 to spend. He didnt like what $4.00 bought him so he decided to settle for the Lightning McQueen watch. Sam earned .35 cents and bought a matchbox car for $1.00. We didnt even try explaining the make up the difference story to him, it wasnt worth it. My favorite line of the night was Ben "Yeah, nice story but its not real" Of course the part about the Savior is, but the little boys response to his dad, yeah not real, or at least not for this family!
Update: Harrison is in love with his watch. He keeps checking the time every couple of minutes and lets us know. "Its 10:45, oh now its 10:46"
Sam likes his matchbox Camaro, he walks around the house saying "Cam-ar-o, Cam-ar-o, Hey! dont touch my Cam-ar-o!"
7 comments:
I dare you to make a 1 minute video of your boys and post it on the internet.
I dare you.
We went to a baptism today where the story of the bicycle was repeated. I cut the speaker some slack since it wasn't sacrament meeting. But when High Councilmen share the story, it really gets my ire up.
Ain't it the truth? It was fun to find your blog. Hope you guys are doing well!
I'm so glad you posted this....total crack up!!!
Reminds me of a time (one of the many before GPS) when I lost my way with the kids in the car. We needed to get to our ward clam bake at a beach on the North Shore in MA. I finally pulled over and went into a 7-11 for directions. When I got back in the car Christina announced that she said a prayer. She prayed that we'd find our way and that if we were late then a lot of other people would be late too.
Gotta love kids and when they think outside the box!
Tell Sam that his Uncle Wayne has a Camaro and when I get it all fixed up, he can have a ride in it.
Amanda and Ben!
We didn't know you had a blog! Now we can keep in touch. Hope you are all doing well!
Morgan and John
strategicallyplacedamigo.blogspot.com
So cute! Thanks for letting me know you have a blog! I won't tell anyone I promise! You are so funny Amanda. I loved talking to you the other day. We need to get together and do something. Maybe we can get you to go to Silverstand on Thursdays...you really have to give it another try. Talk to you soon!
Because of Harrison and his wonderful watch, Christian has been talking about it non-stop and is actually doing his chores so he can fill up his marble jar and get his allowance and go to Target to get a watch just like Harrison's.
It's a good thing Harrison told him he had to do chores to get the watch! I love positive peer pressure!
Post a Comment